Sunday, April 23, 2006

You know when you're getting old when...

...you start agreeing with ol' Clappers. From the Times magazine (sorry, no link):
"From just listening, I can't tell the difference between Coldplay and U2. The one in Coldplay even dances like Bono. What worries me about what's going on now is that people don't know where it's all come from, and I don't suppose they're that interested. I heard that guy from Coldplay saying that Richard Aschcroft was the greatest singer that had ever lived... He probably meant it..."
If you think old Slowhand is ill-fitted to judge, I might accept this if you were comparing his judgement to that of Jimi Hendrix, maybe JJ Cale, or if you could get him to string a coherent sentence together, perhaps Peter Green, or John Martyn, maybe. Or perhaps Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Lightening Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, or Robert Johnson, if you had access to a medium.

But if you are unfamiliar with any of these and persist in the opinion that U2 and/or Coldplay are "really good", I regret to inform you that you may have lost your damn mind.

And if you are familiar with these, yet persist in the above opinion, there's no "may" about it, I'm afraid.

No comments:

Blog Archive