Sunday, November 12, 2006

Male bonding

It's getting goddam chilly up here and my central heating wasn't working properly - so I set about letting the surplus air out of my radiators.

"What are you doing, Daddy?", my son asked.

"just fixin' the heating, son", I growled manfully, wrench in hand.

The fact that it was my girlfriend that told me this was what was wrong with it and what needed to be done detracted only slightly from the feeling of masculine achievement; those of us who are children of academics have to take these small victories over technology where we can find them.

For academics, along with really posh people, go through life with a sense of wonder that few people can equal. "So you put the bread into these two slots and they come out as toast? Amazing!"

The last time I had this feeling I changed the battery in my car. Took me about two hours, and I gave myself several electric shocks - but still...

Speaking of which, would anyone know why I can't copy music I've downloaded (or 'burn', I think you young people call it) onto blank CDs and/or how to change the template on this stupid blog without losing all the information?

No comments:

Blog Archive