Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday the 13th

Back from hols to discover half of my pay hadn't been paid into my account. If I were of a superstitious disposition I'd attribute this to the date but easily the more rational explanation is that I work for Glasgow City Council.

Anyway - holiday reading: Slow Man. Best way I can think of to explain how good Coetzee writes is with a guitar-playing analogy. A lot of guitar-players never seem to get over the fact that they can play a million notes in fast succession on the higher frets of the guitar and those who don't know any better mistake this technical skill for musical talent.

Some writers are like this: Coetzee is Peter Green and he makes many of the rest look like Eddie Van Halen.

For those unfamiliar, here's Peter Green...



And here's Eddie Van Halen...



And if you've ever picked up a guitar but still prefer Eddie Van Halen to Peter Green, I suggest you kill yourself as a matter of urgency.

No comments:

Blog Archive